WaveJump[The development is: Completed]
Wavejump was made during the Globalgamejam2017 with a group of friend of mines. It was my second GGJ and I really enjoyed it and what was the product of it.
The theme of the jam was "Waves" so, after some brainstorming, we come up with the idea of a local multiplayer game about blobs making waves by jumping on the ground.
The main mechanics was the character jump, and that had two important purpose:
- Jump to land down of the ground to create a shockwave that can kill the player.
- Jump to hop over the shockwave and defend yourself from the attackers.
The development was really quick and good, we worked as a team and we had something playable quite early through the jam.
The first sketch was a simpler version with only a type of character creating normal circular waves, as that was the core design.
After that, since a lot of time was still available, we had the chance to polish and juice it to really make it a fun game:
- A lot of graphical effects like the ground cracks and screenshakes were added to improve the feel of the game.
- We gave the players a bunch of different stages to let them explore the mechanics of the game.
- Since the core game used very few colors we added different palettes to swap them randomly each stage.
- We added the Super jump feature were the player can load a bigger jump by slowing himself down while charging it.
- Two more characters that creates shockwaves of different shapes (triangular and square).
With all these features in place we reached the 48 hours of the Jam, so we close it very satisfied from the result.